In areas like Mebane, Hillsborough, Durham, and Chapel Hill, bed bugs often infest places where people frequent or reside for extended periods. Some of the common locations where people might encounter bed bugs include:
1. Homes and Apartments: Bed bugs can easily move between units in apartment buildings, infesting multiple dwellings within a short period.
2. Hotels and Motels: Transient populations in hospitality settings can inadvertently introduce and spread bed bugs from one room to another.
3. Student Housing: Dormitories and university accommodations can be susceptible due to the high turnover of residents.
4. Second-Hand Furniture Stores: Purchasing used furniture without proper inspection can lead to introducing bed bugs into a home.
5. Public Transportation: Bed bugs can hitchhike on clothing or bags, potentially spreading in buses, trains, or shared transportation.
6. Workplaces: Spaces where people spend extended hours, like offices or communal areas, can also become infested if bed bugs are introduced.
Awareness and proactive measures, such as regular inspections and cautious behavior when traveling or acquiring used items, can significantly reduce the risk of encountering bed bugs in these locations.